• National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255
– Online chat
– Espanol: Ayuda En Español 1-888-628-9454
– For Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Hearing Loss 1-800-499-4889
– First Responders
• Ohio Suicide Prevention Foundation 1-614-429-1528
• American Foundation for Suicide Prevention Ohio
• Depression and Suicide Resource Guide … Columbus Recovery Center
Gun Violence & Mental Health
Individuals with mental illness are more likely to be victims of violence, including suicide, than to inflict violence on others. Learn more on how to protect and prevent a loved one from committing suicide here.
- According to Mental Health America (MHA), “suicide deaths are typically impulsive acts and are the number one cause of firearm related mortality in the U.S.”
- “Firearm deaths associated with mental illness are nearly always suicides,” an MHA fact sheet states, adding that “the vast majority of people with mental illness are not violent.”
- The Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence (EFSGV) offers a fact sheet and helpful information on preventing firearm suicide in times of a pandemic: Firearm Suicide and COVID-19, and about Suicide as a Public Health Crisis.
Higher numbers of Americans (over 263,000) are experiencing depression and anxiety since the start of COVID-19, MHA reports. The organization offers an online screening tool to help track the impact of COVID on an individual’s mental health.
Suicide Prevention Links
Suicide Prevention Resource Center … https://www.sprc.org/about-suicide/warning-signs
Suicide Prevention Resource Center Ohio … https://www.sprc.org/states/ohio
Anxiety and Depression Association of America … https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/suicide
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline … https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/
#BeThe1To (Help Save A Life) … https://www.bethe1to.com/