Ohio is one of 17 states where more people die from guns than motor vehicles.
Gun violence is a critical public health issue.
It’s time we started treating it like one.
Ohio must stop gun sales to criminals:
- Close loopholes that allow 40% of guns purchased in Ohio to be from unlicensed dealers, without the instant background checks required by the Brady Law.
- Pass a one-gun-a-month law to prevent the illegal practice of secondary gun sales to criminals.
- Mandate the registration of all handguns: handguns are used in 3/4 of firearm deaths and the public overwhelmingly supports handgun licensing and registration.
Ohio must start protecting its citizens:
- Keep guns out of the hands of children with a juvenile possession law.
- Ban Assault Weapons useful only for criminals, including “cop-killer” bullets and high-capacity clips.
- Encourage safe storage of guns, including passing a childproof gun law.
- Regulate the unpopular “concealed carry” law that allows Ohioans to carry loaded, hidden guns.
Ohio Does NOT Have these safety laws:
- Juvenile possession law
- Child access prevention (CAP) law
- Record of sale law
- Registration law
- Licensing / permit to purchase law
- State ban on assault weapons
- One-gun-a-month law
- Mandatory waiting period to purchase
- Ballistics law
- Childproof gun law
- Background checks on private sales