The Firearm Life Plan … An advanced care planning toolkit developed to help ensure safe use and transfer of weapons upon disability or death of a firearm owner. Developed by researchers at the University of Colorado and the Rocky Mountain VA Medical Center in Denver with funding from the National Institute of Aging, this kit contains numerous resources, including how to start a conversation with a loved one about firearm safety and creating that plan, warning signs and assessments indicating the need for discussion and possible decisions regarding storage and use, a firearm inventory worksheet and much more.
In Ohio, more people die in a year from guns than motor vehicle crashes. There were 1,154 fatal crashes in 2020 in Ohio, according to statistics provided by the Ohio Highway Patrol. There were 1,578 gun deaths in Ohio during 2019 according to CDC statistics – the fifth highest in the country.
Gun violence is a critical public health issue. It’s time we started treating it like one.
Ohio must stop gun sales to criminals:
- Close loopholes that allow 40% of guns purchased in Ohio to be from unlicensed dealers, without the instant background checks required by the Brady Law.
- Pass a one-gun-a-month law to prevent the illegal practice of secondary gun sales to criminals.
- Mandate the registration of all handguns: handguns are used in 3/4 of firearm deaths and the public overwhelmingly supports handgun licensing and registration.
Ohio must start protecting its citizens:
- Keep guns out of the hands of children with a juvenile possession law.
- Ban Assault Weapons useful only for criminals, including “cop-killer” bullets and high-capacity clips.
- Encourage safe storage of guns, including passing a childproof gun law.
- Regulate the unpopular “concealed carry” law that allows Ohioans to carry loaded, hidden guns.
Ohio Does NOT Have these safety laws:
- Juvenile possession law
- Child access prevention (CAP) law
- Record of sale law
- Registration law
- Licensing / permit to purchase law
- State ban on assault weapons
- One-gun-a-month law
- Mandatory waiting period to purchase
- Ballistics law
- Childproof gun law
- Background checks on private sales