In Ohio, more people die in a year from guns than motor vehicle crashes. There were 1,155 vehicle traffic fatalities in 2019 in Ohio, according to statistics provided by the Ohio Highway Patrol. There were 1,578 gun deaths in Ohio during 2019 according to CDC statistics – the fifth highest in the country.
Books for Every Reading Level
Suicide Prevention Resources
Get the Facts
Current Research Studies
CHILDREN AND GUNS
Parent and Adolescent Reports of Adolescent Access to Household Firearms in the United States; March 9, 2021, JAMA Open Network; and
Association of Firearm Access, Use, and Victimization During Adolescence With Firearm Perpetration During Adulthood in a 16-Year Longitudinal Study of Youth Involved in the Juvenile Justice System; February 4, 2021, JAMA Open Network; and
Youth Carrying Guns: Evidence to Assess Potential Policy-Oriented Solutions for Reducing Adolescent Firearm Carriage, January 2020, Pediatrics (Journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND FIREARMS
Frequently Asked Questions About Domestic Violence and Firearms, April 26, 2021, Center for American Progress; and
Intimate Partner Violence, John Hopkins Center for Gun Violence Prevention and Policy
EXTREME RISK PROTECTION ORDERS (ERPO)
As of July 1, 2020, 19 states and the District of Columbus enacted ERPO laws that allow petitioning the court to prevent an individual at risk of violence, including that of suicide, from buying or possessing a firearm(s). John Hopkins Center for Gun Violence Prevention and Policy/Extreme Risk Protection Orders.
GUN LAWS (A 2021 study by Rutgers finds that states with more gun laws have lower youth gun violence numbers.)
• Stand Your Ground … Effects of Laws Expanding Civilian Rights to Use Deadly Force in Self-Defense on Violence and Crime: A System Review, American Journal of Public Health, February 23, 2021; and
The Effects of Stand-Your-Ground Laws, Rand Research/Gun Policy in America, April 22, 2020
• Permit to Purchase … Firearm Policy and Youth Suicide—In Pursuit of Mechanistic Explanations. A study exploring changes in firearm suicides among youth and young adults and changes in lowering legal age for a concealed carry permit and repealing a permit to purchase law. JAMA Network, November 4, 2020
• Concealed Carry … New research puts the ‘good guy with a gun’ idea to rest: Loose concealed-carry laws are linked to more firearm homicides. Research article, “Comparing the Impact of Household Gun Ownership and Concealed Carry Legislation on the Frequency of Mass Shootings and Firearms Homicide,” published in Justice Quarterly, July 23, 2020; and
More Than 1,360 Non-Self Defense Deaths Involving Concealed Carry Killers Since 2007. Research from the Violence Policy Center, March 18, 2020
• Child Access … Tighter Gun Laws Produce ‘Small But Meaningful’ Drop in Firearm Deaths: Study, Rand Research, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, June 15, 2020
• Armed Staff in Schools … The Effects of Laws Allowing Armed Staff in K-12 Schools, Rand Research/Gun Policy in America, April 22, 2020
• Firearms Licensing … Key Findings on Public Support for Firearms Licensing, Daniel Webster and Cass Crifasi (John Hopkins Center for Gun Violence Prevention and Policy), April 23, 2020
GUN VIOLENCE—A PUBLIC HEALTH CRISIS
Gun Mortality Data … a CDC report shared by The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence: A Public Health Crisis Decades in the Making, February 2021; and
Nearly 500,000 Years of Life Lost in Ohio Due to Gun Violence Over 10 Years. Research study: Years of Lost Life: Firearm Fatalities 2009-2018, conducted by the Ohio Alliance for Innovation in Population Health, with data from the Ohio Department of Health, 2009-2018
GUN VIOLENCE VICTIMIZATION
Emotional and Physical Symptoms After Gun Victimization in the U.S., 2009-2019. February 2021, Preventive Medicine; and
Differences in Public Support for Gun Policies Between Women and Men, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, January 2021 … a study examining differences between men and women for specific gun policies aimed at reducing gun violence, January 2021.
MENTAL HEALTH AND GUNS
Extreme Risk Protection Orders: New Recommendations for Policy and Implementation, Consortium for Risk-Based Firearm Policy in collaboration with John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, October 2020.
American Roulette … Murder-Suicide in the United States. Violence Policy Center, July 2020
Pandemic, Social Unrest and Crime in U.S. Cities, Council on Criminal Justice,December 2020.A study examining crime rates for ten different offenses in 28 American cities (including Cincinnati, OH) during the COVID-19 pandemic and social unrest over police violence; and
Surge in Firearm Purchasing During Pandemic’s Onset Linked to Higher Rates of Firearm Violence in U.S., UC Davis Violence Prevention Program study, July 6, 2020.
SUICIDE BY GUN
Studies Look at Youth Firearm Injury Demographics, Access to Guns, American Academy of Pediatrics, March 29, 2021; and
New Research on Guns and Suicide Risks, The Trace, September 11, 2020, indicates that from 2008-2019, the suicide rate of youth and young adults between the ages of 10 and 24 increased 56%, according to CDC data; and
The Firearm Suicide Crisis: Physicians Can Make a Difference, Annals of Family Medicine, May 2020. Researchers from The Ohio State University College of Public Health & Division of General Internal Medicine.